Sunday 7 June 2015

An Invite by the Bacchus Marsh Elders..

On Thursday, after posing around for more photos for the newspapers (more on this to come) I ran into a few of our communities elders. Upon speaking to them about a few issues I'd been having with the Moorabool Shire Council and local school they could see how frustrated I was and understood my frustration. They invited me and my children to a community event happening yesterday and I happily accepted. 

 My son Jiedyn and I, along with elders and other indigenous community members met at the Lerderderg Library at 9.30am yesterday for a bus organised by the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Liaison of the Djerriwarrh Health Services in Melton. 

I was introduced to elders and aboriginal families in the area and it was amazing to finally feel connected with the indigenous people of my community.

The day was amazing and very well put together. We visited the..

Bunjilaka Aboriginal Cultural Centre





Before heading to the..

Shrine of Remembrance



It was a great day for learning but more importantly teaching and showing my son our culture. Until recently neither of my children identified themselves as "Black Fullas". As much as I tried to explain that because I am a "black fulla" it makes them indigenous as well, but they failed to acknowledge their ethnicity because they look "white". 

But finally Jiedyn is understanding and embracing his culture. 

Thank you Damian and Elders for inviting us and for putting on such an enjoyable day. We look forward to getting a lot more involved in future events and meetings. We had a great time.

0 replied:

Post a Comment

© 2023 A LOT OF LITTLE BITS OF LOVE, AllRightsReserved

Blogging from Bacchus Marsh, Australia